The East Cooper Breakfast Rotary Club will welcome Melissa Stowasser, Director of High School Programs at Trident Technical College, as our guest speaker at the meeting Tuesday, October 11, 2016. Melissa will speak about the Trident Tech Youth Apprenticeship Program, Trident Technical College, in collaboration with regional employers in a variety of industries, are offering rising high school juniors, seniors and graduating seniors the opportunity to get paid to learn as youth apprentices. Students hired as apprentices receive paid on-the-job training along with in-the-classroom instruction as dual-credit students through TTC’s Workforce Academies. All tuition and costs are covered by the Charleston Metro Chamber of Commerce making the program free to student apprentices.
To be eligible for a youth apprenticeship, a student must:
- Be a rising junior, senior or graduating senior
- Be at least 16 years of age
- Achieve qualifying COMPASS or ACCUPLACER Placement Test scores*
- Demonstrate academic readiness and responsibility
- Have reliable transportation to work and to school
- Be legally able to work in the U.S.